Tuesday 11 June 2013

Foxes and Pussies

Although we are the middle of our 'foxing season', you haven't heard a lot about it. That's because it has been very quiet indeed. So far we've only found 2.5 dens.

If you're wondering about the 0.5 it's because we had a dog fox move onto the far reaches of our ground with a couple of cubs. They were survivors from a den being dealt with by a neighbouring estate.

But, all in all, it's turning out to be a strange season. We are catching few stoats, seeing few 'hoodie' crows, and finding very few foxes. 

There are a couple of foxes been spotted up on our North march too, but they also have eluded us. So far. Unfortunately the weather has broken down again so we're struggling to get good visibility for spying at first light.

We're also catching up with a few maintenance jobs around the place. Last Friday we were sorting up a footbridge, waaay out on the hill when I spotted a moth on one of the handrail uprights. It was bigger than any moth I'd ever seen.

As I had the email address of a chap who comes up here trapping and studying moths, I took some pics and sent them to him. I was surprised that, when he got back to me, he'd told me he'd only ever seen one before and asked whether he could post a pic on the Butterfly Conservation website. (http://butterfly-conservation.org)

Apparently it's called a Puss Moth. You learn something new every day.

2 comments:

  1. You're so cool! I don't believe I've truly read through anything like this before. So great to find another person with a few unique thoughts on this topic. Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This web site is one thing that is needed on the web, someone with a bit of originality!

    Review my site raspberry ketone reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I could have sworn I've visited this web site before but after browsing through some of the posts I realized it's new to me.
    Nonetheless, I'm certainly happy I came across it and I'll be bookmarking it and
    checking back frequently!

    Look into my page - how to lose Weight quickly

    ReplyDelete