Monday 27 September 2010

Traipsing Round Traps



Unusually for this time of year, I've had a couple of days freed up. This is due to a combination of few stags on my ground and few guests in the lodge.

What I'd most like to be doing with my time is putting out medicated grit for the grouse. Tests on some of the grouse shot earlier indicate a high worm burden but, for now, my hands are tied. The medication can't be made available to them until after we've finished shooting and we've just heard we're doing 2 extra days next week as well as a couple at the end of the month.

So second choice is to get round my traps. They've been much neglected of late (as always at this time of year) and it's a source of frustration, especially as I'm seeing more stoats than I've seen in a looong time.

I also grabbed the opportunity to take my spaniel pup out while on my rounds this morning. She managed very well indeed, all things considered, although she did need a couple of stints on the lead when the 'RUN' sign started flashing in her head. The fact that I came back with a voice and what hair I left with speaks volumes.

My gundogs have always been spaniels and I love their energy. (I alweays reckon that, if you could only harness it, you could power the house off them.) My colleagues are mostly labrador men and they have great pleasure in trotting out the old chestnut:-

"What's the difference between a labrador and a spaniel?"

"A lab is born half-trained, a spaniel dies. half-trained."

What can I say? Many a true word is spoken in jest!

As a parting shot, I'd just like to mention that the first radio programme of my African exchange is being aired this coming Friday (1st October). It's where all this blogging started and you can catch it on Radio 4 at 11am. And, by the way Mr Speilberg, I do all my own stunts.

No comments:

Post a Comment